POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second thread about that $300 film : Second thread about that $300 film Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Second thread about that $300 film
From: gregjohn
Date: 19 Dec 2009 09:05:01
Message: <web.4b2cdce812950fc534d207310@news.povray.org>
Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought I heard about it from this group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

It IS a great inspiration to see what one guy can do in his basement.  (That's
why I love the early Disney & early Wallace & Gromit flicks).  I see all kinds
of things that will help in my animations.

But $300?? My specific objection is in the photorealistic smoke.  Can that be
done that well with a plug-in under twice that?  Doubtful.  And I didn't even
mention the program.  Don't get me wrong, this artist has done something
amazing, but I'm guessing he has access to $2k to $10k in software.  Perhaps it
was only $300 "once you already have" the software, which is like counting the
cost of the movie "Titanic" "once you already have" the ship.